Building Circles is a non-profit organisation and was established in April 2005 by Frances Watson MBE- it achieved independent charity status in October 2007.
Having worked with individuals with special educational needs (SEN) and severe disabilities, Frances saw first-hand that they often had little contact with others other than paid carers and as a result often faced loneliness and isolation from wider society.
Through hard work, dedication and passion to support change, Frances set up Building Circles to give people with learning disabilities the chance to have more fulfilling lives through friendship and community participation.
Our charity has grown from strength to strength and we now have over 50 friendships or circles running with further ones about to start.
What we do
Our primary focus as a charity is to offer friendship and support to people across Gloucestershire with learning disabilities (our Focus People) who are socially isolated and lonely.
We believe everybody deserves the opportunity to have and make friends.
We do this with the amazing help from our team of volunteers who give their invaluable time, a few hours a month to offer their friendship.
This may involve simply visiting their Focus Person to have a cup of tea, going for a walk, going shopping, or popping to the pub for a drink and a game of pool - all the normal things in life that friends do together.
In addition we also offer a wide range of activities and events throughout the year - which usually include: Boat Trips, Summer Fun Days, Barn Dances, Discos, Skittles and our Christmas Party, which has become very popular.
Meet the Team
As a charity we are managed by our Board of Trustees.
- Frances Watson (Founder and Chair of Trustees)
- Nigel Dibb (Trustee and Finance)
- Kevin Elliot (Trustee)
- Sophie Reed (Trustee)
- Sarah Powell (Adviser and Focus Person)
- Karen Waters (Adviser and Co-Trainer)
- Liza Narracott - Chief Executive Officer
- Katie Buck - Office Manager
- Ali Carr - Activities/Volunteer Co-ordinator
- Amy Parry - Volunteer Co-ordinator
- Kayleigh Harker - Administrative Assistant
- Louise Worgan - Training and Development Manager
- Jo Sutherst - Mentor/Lead Trainer
- Lydia Winder - Project Administrator
- Louise Thorogood - Volunteer Co-ordinator